Bachelor of Solar Engineering(BaSE)
What is the program about?
Almost all experts agree that photovoltaic – the conversion of sun energy into electrical energy will be one of the most important energy suppliers on earth. Worldwide, the number of photovoltaic installations is growing from year to year.
In Ghana, solar energy is on top of the agenda. In 2015, the President’s Rooftop Solar PV initiative was announced. The Ministry of Power, through the Energy Commission, is implementing a Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Programme in the country.
As of today, a number of rooftop solar systems of different capacities have been installed under different scenarios including the use of Net Meters which will enable the beneficiaries to sell electricity generated from solar systems back to the distribution companies who will credit the beneficiary with the supply. (The Energy Commission, Ghana, 2015)
To ensure Ghana has the skilled specialists for the manufacturing and application of photovoltaic components and systems, Ghana Technology University College offers a Solar Engineering programme (academic title Bachelor of Engineering).
This is a collaborative programme between GTUC and Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Germany. It is a quality German bachelor degree fully provided in Ghana and adapted to the domestic requirements.
Students will learn about the basics and application of the natural and engineering sciences, get an introduction into photovoltaic technology basics, and learn about the handling of solar cells and solar module implementation into conventional and new energy systems.
Solar thermal systems are another subject of the programme. Furthermore, students will learn about presentation skills and get knowledge on the economy.
Graduates of the Bachelor programme will be awarded the academic title Bachelor of Engineering of Anhalt University of Applied Sciences.
SSSCE / WASSCE – credit passes in core English, core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better. ‘A’ Level – credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the ‘A’ Level.
International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma with Proficiency in English Language. Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) with passes in three (3) compulsory subjects, plus three (3) optional subjects relevant to the programme of study.
**Stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associate, Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English Language and Mathematics.
**City & Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study. Foreign applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications, or their equivalent, from an accredited/recognized institution can apply.
American Grade 12 School Certificate Higher National Diploma (HND) relevant to the programme of study from a recognized Polytechnic with at least Second Class (lower division) Verifiable Diplomas relevant to the programme of study from accredited tertiary institutions. These will be assessed on an individual basis.
**Applicants with these qualifications should verify their results with the National Accreditation Board (NAB).
- ‘O’ Level/ ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics. In addition, applicants must pass an entrance examination or interview.
- SSSCE/WASSCE applicants who have credits in three ( 3 ) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
In addition to the completed admission forms, students are also expected to present
- Application fee
- Two passport sized pictures
- Official results slip/card/transcript
- Be 25 years of age or above at the time of applying.
- Show proof of age (Birth, Baptismal, Passport etc)
- Should pass an entrance examination; Maths English & General Paper.
How to verify this programme at Anhalt
Kindly visit the link below to verify information from Anhalt.
Studying at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
How big is the university?
How many campuses and students?
The Anhalt University of Applied Sciences offers innovative teaching and research at international level and with international quality of life at three sites in Bernburg, Dessau and Köthen. 65 Bachelor’s and Master’s courses in seven departments prepare over 7,900 students – including 1,900 international students – for one thing above all: a successful start to their careers.
Contact –Anhalt University of Applied Science
Prof. Dr. Henry Bergmann E-Mail: Fachberater.ST@emw.hs-anhalt.de
Offline Application Procedure
Application forms for admission could be obtained at the GTUC Information Centre, Tesano – Accra, the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Office and at our website www.gtuc.edu.gh here.
Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH¢120.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.
Completed application forms with certified copies of Certificates / result slips should be submitted to the admissions offices before the closing date.
Online Application Procedure
- Purchase a voucher nationwide at Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) at GH120.00 through the SMART _ PAY platformVisit GTUC website: www.gtuc.edu.gh and click on online application
- Enter the Serial Number and Pin on the voucher
- Complete application form, scan and attach your passport sized photograph and relevant documents
- Print a copy of the completed form and submit to GTUC Admissions Office
You can also obtain a hard copy of the Application Form from our various campuses (Remember to attach your passport sized photograph)
NOTE: Applicants with statement of results from West African Examination Council (WAEC) must add WAEC SCRATCH card(s) to their application form depending on the number of sittings
Semester 1 (30 Credits)
- Mathematics 1
- Technical Mechanics 1
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 1
Semester 2 (30 Credits)
- Mathematics 2
- Introduction into Photovoltaic
- Physics of Solar Cells
- Fundamentals of Material Engineering
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 2
- Technical Mechanics 2
Semester 3 (30 Credits)
- Measurement and Control Technology
- Production Technology
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Dynamics
- Fundamentals of Informatics
- Solar Thermal Systems
- Computer Aided Design
Semester 4 (30 Credits)
- Elective Module I
- Soft Skills
- Solar Modules
- Fundamentals of Electrochemistry
- Power Electronics
- PV Systems in Theory and Practice 1
Semester 5 (30 Credits)
- Environmental Management
- Fundamentals of Automation
- Elective Module II
- PV Systems in Theory and Practice 2
- Team Project
- Professional Traineeship
Semester 6 (30 Credits)
- Professional Traineeship
- Technical Business Management (online)
- Bachelor Thesis
- Physics of Solar Cells 2
- Energy storage systems
- Solar Thermal Systems 2
- Solar Water Disinfection
- Solar Drying
- Statistical Design of Experiments