Students – FAQs

Student's FAQs

You will need to pay for a new one at the Accounts Office. Receipt of payment should be presented to the Information Technology Support Service (ITSS) Officer who will assist you to have your card replaced.

Category: student
Once you have successfully registered at GTUC, taken part in the matriculation process and undertaken your medical examination, you will be issued with your ID card. Failure to take part in any of the stated processes will cause a delay in the issuance of the ID card, and in some cases penalties incurred.

Category: student

Fee Payment



Student Group

Exams and Records