|Course Length:||3 years .........................................................................................|
|Tuition Fees:||Ghanaian Students GH¢5,500 per Semester|
|International Students £1,500 per Semester|
|Course Start Date:||January 2014|
|Location:||Nungua Campus, Accra|
The course has been designed with reference to guidelines published by the Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism (HLST) to provide the skills needed by students for a career in Tourism management. The course also provides an integrated and thorough overview of all aspects of tourism management to enable students handle challenges.
Teaching and Learning
Students, according to their skills and styles have diverse ways of learning. The Tourism Management programme therefore creates diverse learning environments such as learning through work experience and volunteering, engaging with the industry through visits, and engaging with guest speakers. Residential programmes are also available to supplement the more traditional approaches of lectures, guest speakers, tutorials, workshops and seminars, whilst a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) is also used to complement and enhance the traditional, face-to-face learning experience. Further knowledge and skills are developed through case-studies, role-plays, simulations, presentations and projects (work-based and academic). In the second year, students’ knowledge is expanded through tourist destinations leisure and culture, tourism and events service operations management and new media tourism and events marketing. Students are encouraged to reflect on their progress and identify where their potentials lie and to plan for future personal development and growth. Students are also guided through their studies via a teaching support network of module tutors, personal tutors, award leaders and supporting academic and business managers, and dedicated and involved support and pastoral staff. Students act in partnership with personal tutors to develop body of knowledge and portfolio of skills which:
- Encourages active learning and the confidence to learn.
- Stimulates intellectual excitement in learning through engagement with up-to-date researched subjects.
- Encourages critical reasoning about the world of business to achieve well informed judgments and conclusions.
- Engages with complex, challenging problems and real world issues.
- Uses available resources proactively, technical, digital and paper-based to address problems, construct solutions and identify new topics for research
- Engages in constructive reflection on learning and new ideas
- Communicates and shares with others in effective teams and collaborative activities.
The course entails tourism related visits in which students will engage in tourism and events industry through modules like Tourism in Action and Tourism and Events Service Operations Management. There are also other core subjects studied to help students progress in career management within the travel and tourism sector. They include Employability, Reasoning and Project Management Skills, Resourcing Events and Tourism Organizations, Business Accounting, Human Resource and Entrepreneurial Marketing.
The following categories of students are considered for admission: 1. Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE with credit passes in Core English, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better. 2. ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the advanced level. 3. Mature Applicants
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics in addition to passing an Entrance Examination or interview.
- SSSCE / WASSCE who have credits in three (3) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
4. International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma 5. Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) holders with passes in three (3) compulsory plus optional subjects relevant to the programme of study. 6. Applicants with stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associates of Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English language and Mathematics. 7. American Grade 12 8. Foreign Applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications or their equivalent from an accredited/recognized institution. 9. City and Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study.
Year 1 Modules
- Introduction to Tourism and Events
- Employability, IT and Reasoning Techniques (Enhancing your career and Personal Success)
- Tourism Theories and Perspectives
- Resourcing Events and Tourism Organizations
- Entrepreneurial Marketing
Year 2 Modules
- Employability and Project Management Techniques
- Tourism and Events Service Operations Management
- Tourist Destinations Leisure and Culture
- New Media Tourism and Events Marketing
- Work Experience or Applied Technology for Events or Professional Choice
Optional Placement Year
Year 3 Modules
- Tourism Management Project
- International Tourism Marketing
- Contemporary Issues in Tourism and Events
- Tourism in Action
- Work Experience OR Professional Choice
How to Apply
- Application forms for admission can be obtained at the GTUC information centre Tesano – Accra (or download from here), the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office or on our website www.gtuc.edu.gh at the admissions menu.
- Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH ¢110.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.(fee includes Application Form and Verification processes)
- Completed application forms with certified copies of certificates/result slips should be submitted to the admissions office, GTUC Tesano – Accra, contact admissions office for application deadline.
- Degree (Certificate) is given by Staffordshire University, UK
- The degree is also accredited by the National Accreditation Board, Ghana
Note There will be visits to interesting tourist places in Ghana and in other countries.
The award provides graduates with the skills necessary for hospitality and general management with careers like: tourism operations, the travel business and tourism marketing and related service industries. Graduates particularly gain opportunities in hospitality, leisure and public service industries and Local Authorities. The course is ideal for postgraduate study in tourism or for a teaching qualification.