|Course Length:||3 years|
|Tuition Fees:||Ghanaian Students: Gh¢5,500 per Semester
International Students: £1,500 per Semester
|Course Start Date:||January 2014|
Software Engineering looks at creating software to solve problems in the real world. A Software Engineer creates software to help solve situations after analyzing and identifying problems. In relation to the course one will learn to develop tools, techniques and programming language relevant to the field of work.
As a beginner, solid foundation is generally laid on computing and software Engineering, with studies in application modeling and programming to help you build expertise on software Engineering.
One will also develop academic and professional skills while implementing applications. You will gain experience of Java, C++ and C# as well as learning about managing software, development projects, designing and developing rational databases. You can also spend a year in a paid industrial placement overseas with self employment by undertaking a highly recommended sandwich option. The final year you will demonstrate your expertise by undertaking a substantial final year project.
The following categories of students are considered for admission:
- Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE with credit passes in Core English, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better.
- ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the advanced level.
- Mature Applicants ‘O’ Level / ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics in addition to passing an Entrance Examination or interview. SSSCE / WASSCE who have credits in three (3) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) holders with passes in three (3) compulsory plus optional subjects relevant to the programme of study.
- Applicants with stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associates of Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English language and Mathematics.
- American Grade 12
- Foreign Applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications or their equivalent from an accredited/recognized institution.
- City and Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study.
- Application modelling
- Introduction to Software Development
- Fundamentals of Computing and Mathematics
- Skills for Computing Professionals
- Engineering Software Applications
- Web & Mobile Application Development
- Object-Oriented Application Engineering
- Concurrent Network Applications
- Task-based Software Engineering
- Engineering and Integrating Robust, Large-Scale Systems
- Engineering Enterprise Applications
- Software Engineering for Mobile Devices
- Final Year Project
How to Apply
- Application forms for admission can be obtained at the GTUC information centre Tesano – Accra, the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre Vodafone Regional Head Office, or downloaded here.
- Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH ¢110.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.(fee includes Application Form and Verification processes)
- Completed application forms with certified copies of certificates/result slips should be submitted to the admissions office, GTUC Tesano – Accra, contact admissions office for application deadline.
What are the prospects for this programme ?
There are many contexts in which software engineers develop software systems, they include developing commercial web applications, on demand platforms for delivering television and radio content, mobile and wireless systems, business systems and police case management software.
Which institute issues out the certificate GTUC or Staffordshire?
Degree (Certificate) is given by Staffordshire University, UK
The degree is accredited by the British Computing Society (BCS) and by the Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS)
Is the programme accredited?
The degree is also accredited by the National Accreditation Board, Ghana
Do I get the opportunity to study abroad in this programme ?
Students on this programme can choose to do a semester or a year abroad with any of Staffordshire Partners all over the world (see list of partners)
Is the certificate internationally recognised ?
Yes, you also gain a Global Award in addition to their degree award.
Software Engineers develop software programme in all aspects of the computing industry, example, business systems to computer games and embedded systems. Some job titles of graduates are Application programmer, software Engineer and software developer.